Category Archives: Oprah’s tips
It’s a new year, a new dawn! A new year always brings opportunity for reinvention and rediscovery… It’s all about newness and in this New Year we are all about embracing
rich African Culture… By fusing the Western trends with African originality you are sure to be rocking this year in style. African Fashion is rapidly becoming the hottest thing around…about time don’t you think?
This year’s trends include:
- Colours, colours, and more COLOURS: And isn’t our culture just full of COLOURS! Go ahead and enjoy combining African fashion and Western trends like the examples we have here.
- Prints and Patterns: African fashion is all about prints and patterns and all over the world everyone wants a piece of our African awesomeness, Western designers are constantly coming up with African inspired pieces.
- Colour clashing with Print: Pick a colour off your printed clothing and pair it with a blazer, pair of shoes and other accessories in a bold shade of that colour and you are sure to be looking absolutely gorgeous … OR
Add a printed item to an outfit with plain, bold colours, for example a printed headpiece, shoes, bags and such other accessories.
Peplum Dress 1
Peplum skirts and dresses: This is a style originating from Ancient Greece that is figure-flattering for any body shape. The skirt looks great in print with a brightly coloured blouse.
- Formal in Print and Texture: To make it sophisticated and formal event appropriate pair a printed outfit with textures like leather and suede and a colour like black or beige.
- Lace and Print: 2013 is all about thinking out of the box; combine your African print with all kinds of trends and textures to express your own true African style.
Africa is full of diverse cultures and rich culture which ought to be celebrated and Fashion is the best medium in which one expresses oneself. African fashion is more than just clothes, more than just a passing trend, it’s an entity, a language on its own that shows the world who we, African women are. The best thing about it is you can stay true to your own personal style because of the measureless opulence of African fashion.
2013: Appreciating African Awesomeness!